What is Microfinance?
Microfinance is the provision of financial services to low-income clients, including consumers and the self-employed, who traditionally lack access to banking and related services.
What is the goal?
The goal is to change the world - for the better. Our objective is “a world in which as many poor and near-poor households as possible have permanent access to an appropriate range of high quality financial services, including not just credit but also savings, insurance, and fund transfers.” Through providing access to microfinance we can help poor people out of poverty by giving them the opportunity to help themselves.
* An opportunity to alleviate poverty and secure an economic future for those in need.
* A great way to network with prominent members of the University of Houston faculty.
* The MFI is a “first of its kind” club within the University of Houston community.
* A way to distinguish yourself from the crowd. This is not your traditional community service.
* A great opportunity to learn new skills and knowledge, such as fundraising and microfinance.